Sunday, February 21, 2010

ug.

I have been CPR certified for about 15 years, and I have never actually had to use it in any form in those 15 years. (thank goodness)

Until Tonight.

We were making dinner and Darrin was peeling carrots while Tate munched on one sitting on the counter watching daddy. Somehow, in moving around, Tate fell off the counter. Darrin picked him up and he, of course, was crying. Well, because of the crying he inhaled a piece of carrot, which he choked on.

Now, he is our choker, he always seems to choke on his food (though, not as much since he has gotten older)but he always throws it up before it does any harm.

Not tonight.

I kept waiting for him to throw up for what was probably only 10 seconds, but seemed like forever, but he just didn't. And I am thinking this whole time...am I really going to have to do the Heimlich on him??

Yep. I did. Poor kid. He got it right out and was able to breathe right away and I think we were more upset than he was.

He sat with me for a little while then ran downstairs to play with his brother.

About ten minutes later he came back upstairs and Darrin noticed that he had a bunch of little pin prick bruises on his checks and around his eyes from the blood vessels that had broke when he was choking.

Then later he wacked his head twice on the door knob by the bathroom.

I think it's time for bed.

11 comments:

wendy and brig said...

I am so glad he is ok. Way to go Mandy! Scary I hope I never have to do that and if I do I hope I can remember it. Hope you are all doing well. Miss ya

Heidi said...

Wow! That's scary, but I'm glad it went so well and you were there to help him.

Nat said...

Yikes! I'm glad he is okay. I've had to do that a few times, and it is so scary!

Niki said...

Poor you and poor Tate. Hope today is a better day :)

Betsy B said...

Ugh! How scary! I get scared when they gag so I can only imagine I'd be a wreck! I'm glad Tate's okay.

Dawn said...

Oh that's hideious! I hate having to use those skills....it is awful and on your own kid too. I'm glad he's ok :)

Becky said...

Wow! Good thing to have those skills. Give Tate a hug for us! Glad he was alright thanks to his knowledgable mom!

Charisse said...

Wow- scary stuff. Glad you are an awesome mom and well prepared.

Kara's Party Ideas said...

oh my gosh! scary! i'm glad he's ok! gosh, you've been thru the ringer lately!

Cindy said...

Oh man that is not cool. I'm sorry you had to do that! At least he is okay! Poor taters.

Lisa said...

Poor Tater! He's such a toughie, though.