Monday, January 18, 2010

Multiply and Replenish the Earth......




Darrin and I were recently called to be Sunbeam teachers in our ward. Now, normally I would really like to teach a different age group that I do during the week for preschool, but we substituted for the class during the 'meet your teacher' activity.

And, I fell in love with the class.

Then we taught them the next day at church and the Sunday after that and they thought we were actually their teachers. I was really feeling sad to leave them. So we were excited to hear that we could actually BE their teachers.

Now, we have a unique situation out here in Cedar Valley. Most people are in their 20's and 30's and we have a high population of active LDS church members. Sooooo....we have a couple of extra primary kids in our ward.

Our class has 9-10 regularly attending kids. We teach the Sunbeam A class. There is also a Sunbeam B and Sunbeam C class with about the same numbers. There are three CTR 4 classes, three CTR 5 Classes, two CTR 6 classes, two CTR 7 classes, two CTR 8 classes, two CTR 9/10 classes and one CTR 11 class.

Now I don't know the numbers, but if there are about 8 kids in each class, that is 144 active children in our primary. Wow.

It was so loud and crowded in the primary room that we moved primary into the chapel. CRAZY! It worked out so much better though. No moving chairs, a louder microphone and not as noisy.

It is a large ward with it's own unique challenges, but it is also so awesome to have a ward so large with so many active members that we are bursting at the seams!!

Truly amazing.

10 comments:

Kara's Party Ideas said...

you are AWESOME!!!!!! seriously, we can't thank you enough! btw...i think there's soon to be a sunbeam D class :). hehe. crazy.

Becky said...

HOLY COW! You are brave! I don't think I would have the patience for that.

Nat said...

Wow1 That's a huge primary!

Mikelle said...

Oh my gosh i fee you--I just got called to teach Sunbeam D--I counted our roster there are over 100 kids in sunbeams and nursery ALONE!! I think that we have over 200 in the primary--it's nuts. Definitely an adjustment!! Good luck with your class!

Joe and Liz said...

Are you serious!! Oh my goodness. And Mikelle's has 200...wow?! I'm the primary president here in Memphis and we have 45 kids total and I thought that was enough. Does your primary presidency go insane!!

Betsy B said...

I will never complain about my primary of 50 again. I can't imagine being the president of your primary. Sunbeams are a fun class though. That's a fun calling. I'd love to be a teacher

AmyJo said...

I sure hope that president has 6 counselors!:)
That really is awesome!

Ruth n Mike said...

Glad to hear somewhere Zion is growing! lol

Charisse said...

We truly do have an amazing ward and primary. You and Darrin are so good to teach the sunbeams. Plus you have your other calling. You definitely have a talent for teaching chilren.

Lisa said...

(((Mandy and Darrin)))