Friday, October 2, 2009

Muse, Mutter and Murmur

Darrin says I worry too much.

I say, "Well, SOMEBODY has to worry in this relationship."

He's right, I do tend to contemplate situations, words, future events, performances, attitudes, meanings and actions a little too much.

I worried for a long time that I worried too much. Then I came across a quote about 7 years ago that says this:

Worry is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere.

I can really say that I don't worry so much about things I can't control. I have a plan for things I have a little control over and I take charge and do something about the things I have control over.

But, I still think a lot.


I have just been assigned a new visiting teachee.

She is, well, a little needy.

Or a lot needy.

OK, she is really a lot a lot needy.

In the 2 weeks I have "officially" been her visiting teacher, I have done one home visit, taken food over once, sent my husband over to give a blessing (which didn't go down...they didn't answer the door when he showed up), and received 9 phone calls for things ranging from rides, babysitting, and just wanting to chat.

I can really honestly say that I believe in the purpose of Visiting Teaching and I believe that it is divinely inspired and is a wonderful program.

BUT, (OK, you knew there would be a but in here somewhere, didn't ya?)

But, what exactly is a Visiting Teachers role?

I actually find it all a little amusing still at this point. I love a good story, and this is shaping up to be a classic. I do have a feeling though, that this will eventually cross a yet to be determined boundary and how do I not feel guilty when that time comes?

I have been musing on this calling of mine and what is expected of me and what the Lord would have me do and what might be considered "beyond the call of duty".

I am sure that Muttering and Murmuring will come into the picture at some point in this new assignment of mine.

But for now, I am happy to serve and gain a little humor about life along the way.

10 comments:

Nat said...

Good luck! Sometimes visiting teaching is a challenge!

Heidi said...

Ouch! I hope it gets better!

Madeline said...

Ummm...Do you have some yogurt? If you do, I seriously hope you're not deceiving me.

ali-dot-e said...

Maybe this techee is just seeing how far she can get with you. She is probably moved around the ward a lot and just tries to see how far she can go with some poeple. You can check on her and help her out when you can, but I am a big believer in people having to solve their own problems and not make others solve it for them. You do what you can for her but know that it is not your responsibility to do everything for her, give her suggestions on how to help herself, then maybe she will back off of you because she knows that she can't play you like that. Anyway, I will get off my soap box now.

Lisa said...

Could you go grocery shopping for me?

Amy said...

I found your blog. On your FB page. And I had the BIGGEST laugh with this post. So, thank you. Seriously, thank you. (Excuse me, I need to laugh a little more before I continue. Okay, I can move on.) But, you'll learn how to deal with it. You'll learn when to say yes and when to say no to things. You'll learn what to say to help her "grow-up" and figure things out on her own. And I'm pretty sure somewhere down the line you'll get a new friend out of all of it. :)

Ruth n Mike said...

Testing, Teasting, Testing! I love it ! It reminds me of a few people I have been associated with. Like a co-worker who doesn't want to read the BM I gave her , but loves C.s. Lewis. so I just gave her a copy of a collection of C.S. Lewis books and sign Happy Bithday oh and p.s. the book of Mormon is True. Hope she like it!!

AmyJo said...

Hope you find an answer to it and feel content with whatever you decide. I would say this is a hard one. So what about your partner? Is she carrying the load as well?

Cindy said...

Umm... wow! All I can say is good luck. My neighbor came over to my house four times yesterday and I thought that was the limit (I didn't even the door twice). I can't even imagine handling something like this. But you're a better person that I am, so I know you'll be able to do it, even if you do murmur and mutter along the way!

Becky said...

Good luck. I had one that talked too much and it was all about herself. I finally had to tell her we can't do hour long visits anymore with those we visit teach (we had 3 ladies). It took up too much time. It' was hard to find a place to jump in and tell her we had to go. I really like the companion I have now and the sisters we see.