Monday, February 9, 2009

It's in my Genes/Jeans

You always hear about the families who have talent seething from their genetic pours: The 5 Browns, The Jacksons, The Kennedy's.... The Baldwins...whether it's musical, political prowess, or acting, the genetic markers are there in each family member.

My family has also been blessed with an exceptional genetic gift. It is one that transcends all others. We use all of our senses in harmony: touch, sound, sight, smell, and taste. We are omnivores. The best around.

There is legend that my fathers' sister once drove 1.5 hours away from her home town to a specific diner...because they had the best biscuits and gravy in the whole county.

My visionary sister once had a dream that my dad came into the convenience store she was working in and, when asked what time it was, looked at his chocodile watch to get the time. (if you have never heard of a chocodile...that's OK, your just not as gifted as us....it is a 1990's chocolate covered twinkie )

My sister and I plan our visits with each other not in terms of where to go and what to do, but where are going to eat while we are visiting each other.

My most vivid and fondest memories of visiting my grandparents involve sitting around the dining room table. We have a whole "football game" ritual worked out.

We have the "pre-game" show when everyone bellies up to the table with a nice cold drink while the food is being prepared (everyone being relative because we all know someone has to cook, right?).
Then we have "the big game" where the glorious food is partaken...touchdown for grandmas italian style cucumbers and tomatoes!
Then with our waistbands bulging we proceed with the "post-game" commentary. We sit around the table for hours enjoying each others company, re-telling the same funny family stories over and over again.

It is pure bliss.

I have a prominent sign in my dining room that states "Life's Best Memories are Made Around the Table."

Yep, it's in the genes.

Hmmmm, That reminds me, I wonder what I should make for dinner?

3 comments:

Steph said...

Mmmmmm..... food.....

Anonymous said...

I always forget about the chocodile watch - too funny!

Great writing!

Becky said...

I'm hungry now. I do have to agree with your sign. Maybe that's why you fit into the family so well. he he he