Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ode to Eagle Mountain...

I am a firm believer that each part or stage of life teaches us lessons and helps us grow and develop as a person. I am really dorky in the fact that I am constantly looking for these lessons in the mundane. It's kind-of a hobby of mine. ( I collect Hobbies, you know). Thus my Ode to Eagle Mountain.

Lessons I have learned while living in Eagle Mountain.
1- You reap what you sow.
2- In order to sow, you must lightly water dirt, add some sandy loam and peat moss.
3- While sowing, do NOT over water dirt.
4- Native Eagle Mountain Soil is the NEW quicksand. If over watered.
5- Sow nothing. Reap tumbleweeds.
6- Do not try to ignore small growing weeds in yard.
7- Tumbleweeds are like small, seemingly insignificant sins. They start out so small and benign and if are left un-attended...well, one day you look out your kitchen window and the small insignificant weeds are now large, bushy, thorny beasts.
8- Russian Thistle is a type of tumble weed.
9- Never try to pick Russian Thistle without full body armor.
10-I am severely allergic to Russian Thistle. (think, ER visit..can't breathe!)
11-Nothing beats the satisfaction of using a rake in the fall to annihilate the dead Russian Thistle along our property line (in long sleeves, gloves, etc..).
12-Russian Thistle makes a great, cheap fence. Keeps our kids in, the pesty neighbor kids out!
13-Always look before backing out of driveway.
14-There will ALWAYS be one of the following behind you: small child, skateboard, bike, transformer or cat. Or all of the above.
15-Two things you can count on in Eagle Mountain: Every one has either small children or a dog. Or both.
16-Your kids will always have friends to play with outside.
17-One ring on your doorbell=adult, multiple rings in a row for 5 minutes straight=kid.
18-It is so much fun to be surrounded by people in basically the same stage of life as you.
19-Eagle Mountain communities practice the law of consecration. The set up for this Celestial principle goes like this: Everyone has a home based business (Lia Sophia, Scentsy, Shoes, etc...) Everyone attends everyone else's parties and spends money. No one actually makes money in their businesses, the money just circulates around the neighborhood.
20- If your shoes are scuffed, houses smell yucky, or you are un-adorned, you are not doing your part to support one another.
21- Neighbors are very generous when it comes to lending an egg, 1/4 cup sugar, stick of butter, or any other small ingredient needed while baking on a Sunday.
22- Always call your friend while you are at Wal-Mart to see if she needs anything while you are "in town"
23- Friend is an "angel of mercy" because you just realized you don't have a head of garlic for your famous lasagna and you don't have 1.5 hours to go "to town" for garlic.
24- You will share your space with snakes, tarantulas, black widows and sand puppies.
25- You will be a member of at least 3 different wards without even moving once!
26- You will have a village of wonderful people to help mentor your child.
27- You will have many moms to bond with and discuss temper tantrums, potty training, school work and to swap recipes with.
28- You will always have dirt in your window sills, in your carpet and in your garage.
29- The stars are brightest here.
30- Your neighbors porch lights light your way home.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my first year here in Eagle Mountain. I have learned so much and made so many wonderful friends here. I am living in my little house on the prairie, and I love it!

5 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

That was a cute post. We have been wondering where we'll live when we move back to Utah in 3 years and have been looking online at Eagle Mountain. Sounds fun, except for all the dirt and tarantulas?!?!? Eww...

Eric and Andrea said...

I really enjoyed that. I have to laugh about the home party comment, because I recently started selling Usborne. So if you ever want to add that to your list of parties, I would be happy to do one for you. Ha Ha :-)

ali-dot-e said...

Amen- from a fellow eagle mountain dweller!

Cindy said...

I'll do a health party for you and your Eagle Mountain friends (seriously)! I'll even bring dinner.

Things I've learned since Darrin and Mandy moved to Eagle Mountain:
1.Any piece of dirt without a house on it is equivalent to a road.
4. Darrin and Mandy live by the church, but which one? We never know.
6. It will always be impossible for us to find Darrin and Mandy's house without the help of neighbors, family, phone calls, and Google maps. No matter where they decide to live.
2. The average age of Eagle Mountain residents is 5 years old.
3. Little kids shoot toy guns at us when we drive by.
7. Never buy lemonade from kids in Eagle Mountain, as there will be crunchy dirt in it (and it's WAY overpriced, especially with the dirt surprise).
5. There is ALWAYS a 4-way stop at EVERY intersection. And sometimes, when there is no intersection at all.

Nat said...

Oh, I love it! I've got the same stuff where I live. I love it here and my neighbors are the best! I went to Eagle Mountain once...