Saturday, September 5, 2009

Transitions

I purchased a new purse and wallet today. It was really a momentous event in my life. It is a black "grown up" purse and a black "grown up" wallet.

It is the first time I have had a real purse, not just a bag of some sort.

Purses really aren't my style, but it was time to transition.

I don't have to worry about diapers, bottles, toys or even changes of clothing for potty training kids. I have grown past that stage of life.

I am not quite sure how I feel about that. Free? Helpless? Happy? Sad?

We have been talking a lot about emotions lately with Remy and Tate. Remy is a very emotional person (hmmmm, I wonder where he gets that from?)so we have been working on labeling our emotions and talking more about them to make sense of how he is feeling. We just talked about how we can feel more than one emotion at a time and how fascinating that really is.

This small little transition really sums up this emotional discussion that Remy and I had.

Who knew a purse could have such a powerful affect?

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Awww! (((Mandy)))

So, let me know when you have purse wine ready, and I'll bring the crackers :-)

Ruth n Mike said...

Are you talking about me? Well, I got it from my mother too! No potty training pants or extra's? That must mean Remy is doing great and school must be good for him! yeah! Hope you are all feeling better!!

janelle said...

I'm at the opposite end. I'm a minimalist and so having a go with a diaper bag soon has been one of the hardest thoughts for me to get used to about being a new mom. I know, I'm strange. I just love having a little purse with just the necessities, what am I going to do when I have to lug around a diaper bag??

Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your words of support with the breastfeeding. It's actually been more difficult than I imagined getting support with this decision. People mean well, but if they weren't able to succeed with it they tend to say rude/ negative things to me. I just wanted to say thank you for your comment!

Cindy said...

I've never really had a purse that can fit more in it than what I can put in my hands, so I think I would be emotionally distressed if I walked around with anything larger.

But gosh that is exciting that you get to downsize on your daily luggage!

AmyJo said...

It just dawned on me why maybe I don't really have a grown up purse yet myself.Those really cute ones don't hold as much as I want to stuff in them. Still in that stage that I need the "big bag" It is all about being prepared.

I just may feel lost when I get a grown up purse too! Way to go on encouraging the expressing of feelings.
I was just thinking today how hard it is to potty train. I am at it with my 3 year old. Girls are so much easier!

Nat said...

Hooray for a grown up purse! Maybe someday I'll be there, too.

I saw that you are coming to the shower. It will be awesome to see you!

Betsy B said...

Congrats! That seems like a transition far in the future for me. I transitioned to a purse before I got married. I really didn't want to get a purse for a long time because I didn't want to look like my mom, then I finally did and as soon as I did I found that each purse I have gotten has been bigger (thus our huge diaper bag). How would it be to fit everything we need into a wallet in our back pocket like most guys I know. C'est la vie!

Mandy said...

Ha! Betsy! That is exactly why I didn't want to get a "grown up" purse too! I didn't want to look like my mom (although my mom looks better than me most times...)So I settled for a purse that my Auntie Doris would carry. I split the difference.